Pages

Friday, 22 June 2012

This and That

So, here we are again, the great British summer is with us, we have high winds, rain, the cancellation of many outdoor events due to our wonderful weather and, even if such events do go a head, you can look forward to a soaking at the very least!

To be fair we have had some sunny weather, in-between the showers, in fact when the sun does shine it's remarkably hot!
All this has led to a proliferation and abundance of things green, the grass in my garden is thicker, taller and greener than it's ever been, bushes and trees are 'in leaf' in a volume rarely seen, flowers normally associated with mid to late summer have already come and in many cases gone.

Mid summer, huh?

The Solstice, well, it gets light at just before 4am, the birds kick off their 'Dawn Chorus', the cats wake up demanding to be fed, I wake up, no one else in the house wakes up and I'm faced with a few hours of respite and freedom before the day begins in earnest!


An experiment, false colours, rather pleasing though not really that exciting, probably better to concentrate on something more important, like a couple (or more) of my recent poems:-



The Rain Effect
I f you stop and think you can't complain 

we really do need a lot more rain 

the long dry summer we had last year 

and a mild-ish winter we all did cheer 

and this year too what did it bring? 
An unseasonably warm dry spring 
so the reservoirs are running low 
and the aquifers deep down below 
there really could be nothing worse 
lack of water leads us to the hearse 
Insufficient rain could, I fear
Lead to a shortage of our beer

so the government imposed a hosepipe ban 

just before the rain began 

and it rained, and it rained 
and it rained, and it rained 
Farmers may well indeed rejoice 

but to these things I must give voice

Now we have the flood alerts 

and other things that really hurt 
what's wrong with this bloody nation 
outside events suffer cancelation 
we should be used to it, after all 
it's 'British Weather' I hear the call 
we cannot cope with snow no doubt 
or autumn leaves or summer drought 
or frost or fog or ice or rain 
what's that? The suns come out again 
but sadly now it's all too late 
the British weather has sealed our fate!

Old Age can be a Bastard
I saw the old gentleman from down the road
Leaning against a wall to catch his breath
No longer can he make it to the shops and back
Without stopping for a rest
And I thought, old age can be a bastard

I saw the old lady from across the street
Struggling onto the bus with her Rollator
It’s a trip she makes everyday
It seems that she has no one to help her
And I thought, old age can be a bastard

I never see the old couple anymore
From the house on the corner
I saw the ambulance arrive, many times
And then they simply weren’t there anymore
And I thought, old age can be a bastard

I don’t see many of my friends these days
In fact I hardly see anyone to talk to at all
But I watch from the comfort of my arm chair
And watch the dramas as they unfold
And I thought, old age can be a bastard

I’d like to help them all, I really would
But it’s impossible for me to assist in any way
I’ve an important job to do
So I keep remote, detached, far away
And I still think, old age can be a bastard

But, wait a minute, what’s going on here?
A group of kids playing football around the shops
“This is CCTV control, get the police round there now
Make sure it quickly stops”
That’ll please the old folks.

Memory Quote
“If two people tell you the same thing,
Then it must be a lie”
Is often attributed to the late Oscar Wilde
But this may be a misquote
Or a misconception
In more ways than one
Perhaps some correction, is required

My friend Bob said
“I learn a new name every day”
And then went on to say
“It’s to replace the one name I’ve forgotten,
My memory these days is so awfully rotten!”

And within the space of a day or two
Shaun, without prompting expounded too
He told me, “Memory is not just about remembering,
It’s also about forgetting”
So, if two people tell you the same thing
Perhaps in different ways
And in unrelated circumstances
What are the chances?
In fact, without any further ado
I tend to believe that it may be true!


Wandering Ghost
We wander like ghosts
Around impersonal hotels
When alone away on business
It could be anywhere in the world
Especially if it’s airport
To hotel to factory
To hotel
To sit alone
For your evening meal
If you’re lucky there may be
A friendly face at the bar
Someone with whom to converse
Someone just like you are
It’s more fun when with colleagues
There’s so much more you can do
But when all alone
When it’s just you
You become
A wandering ghost.

All poems above copyright Grant Meaby 2012, have fun everyone, until the next time, cool runnings and fair winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment